I attempted to complete this challenge late last night but due to WordPress being stupid it was deleted along with my draft. So I went to bed instead of writing it again.
Today’s post was inspired by 30 days to build a better blog by Darren Rowse as well as from reading other blogs. Lists seem like a common theme.
I’m not normally one to write lists. In fact I tease my list crazy gf often about her penchant for creating uncountable lists about everything. Although as much as I tease her about it, I understand the practicality of using a list, as I see first hand how it makes her organized and efficient in her life.
In creating my post I figured why not share a list of things that have helped shape who I am.
1) Person: George Carlin. My favorite comedian and modern philosopher. His love for language and his unwavering honesty about humanity makes him one of my personal heroes.
2) Video Game: Mass Effect 1,2 & 3. Bioware is based out of my home town and had made another game I enjoyed calle MDK II. My best friend even worked for them on Mass Effect, so my expectations for the game were pretty high. But I never could have expected just how awesome this game series is. Commander Shepard is now my all time favorite Science Fiction hero. Bioware really set the bar high. I was so emotionally invested in the story, the characters and the mission I truly felt I was Shepard. By far one of the greatest games ever made.
3) Book: Enders Game by Orson Scott Card. A gripping tale of a young boy genius, destined to be earths last hope in a war with an Alien threat and his emotional struggle to save earth as well as his humanity in the face of genocide. It’s sister novel Enders Shadow together combine for one of the best science fiction stories I’ve ever read despite the religious undertones. Soon to be released on film this year starting Harrison Ford.
4) Music: Strung Out. Southern California punk rockers have a heavy blend of Punk/Metal. My all time favorite artist. I’ve seen them 13 times, traveled multiple cities to see them, own too many T-shirts/merch to count and sport a tattoo of their logo the Astrolux. Love them. Check out http://www.strungout.com
5) Artist: Vincent van Gough. Creator of The Starry Night. His blending of color and use of dark/light contrast, added with his unique painting style has always left me fascinated with this painting. A crazy yet wonderful painter.
6) Website: Strong Bad and the gang at www.homestarrunner.com.
Created by The Brothers Chap. This flash cartoon was all the rage a few years back. From its wacky characters, interactive website and it’s classic cartoons like Teen Girl Squad. This website is already awesome to begin with. Add in the epically hilarious Sbemails and it’s like 100000 times more awesome. As an aspiring cartoonist I can’t help but be inspired by the world created by those talented brothers.
7) Historical Figure: Carl Sagan.
I know not overly historical as he only passed away in the 90’s. But as I’ve gotten older and learned more about him the more his words, his hope and his never ending quest to understand the universe have inspired me to view the world more openly. He did so much for us in regards to the space program and put forth some of the most historical accomplishments in humanities quest to understand the universe.
8) Place: I’ve mentioned Fiji before (which I love) but the most important place on earth for me is the Rocky Mountains. The raw beauty and sheer magnitude of these natural wonders have played an important part in my life. Some of my most humbling moments have been in the Rockies. I’ve seen them from afar, in the heart of them and from high above and no matter how I see them, I’m reminded just how big our planet is despite how small we are in the universe. Makes me curious about what other wonders are there to see, visit or discover on this planet and beyond.
9) Movie: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. A emotional tale of love and memory starring Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet as a recently split couple, struggling with the emotional turmoil of losing each other over their failed relationship. I saw this movie as I just ended a long term relationship and never has a film touched so close to home.
10) Food: Fondue, I’m a horribly picky eater. To the point it’s made things quite frustrating for my foodie Gf. But a few years ago we did Fondue for my birthday and had a blast. Cheesy, fried, or chocolate I love it all. I put this in the list because of how much my willingness to try new foods has changed. I’m still picky but I’ve eaten some pretty crazy stuff I never would have before if it hasn’t been for Fondue.
Thanks for reading today’s post and I apologize for the sporadic posting recently. Things will become more normal next week.