Today is July 1st, and in Canada where I am from it is our nations 146th Birthday. In celebration of our nation today’s blog post is about 5 random facts that I think make Canada awesome.
1) Canadian beavers built a dam that can be seen from space. It’s also viewable on google maps.
Beaver dam seen from space
2) Canadians have been responsible for some of the worlds most important inventions. From the electron microscope and insulin to the Egg carton and the garbage bag.
3) At our Parliament building there is a city of cats. Since the 70’s a colony of stray cats has lived behind the parliament buildings. They are cared for and protected by volunteers and are quite famous. They even have their own Facebook page
4) Edmonton (My home town) is best known as the city Wayne Gretzky first played in the NHL and for West Edmonton Mall which at one time was the worlds largest mall. But it’s best feature is that we are located in North America’s largest urban forest. Our river valley stretches 7,400 ha (18,000 acres) in size and 48 km (30 mi) in length throughout the city along the the North Saskatchewan river. Beautiful to see in the fall
5) Ok and this ones just a weird and wacky fact but in Dawson City, Yukon there’s a bar where you can join the Sourtoe Cocktail Club. Where patrons drink a glass of Whisky with a real, preserved human toe in it. Don’t believe me just YouTube Sourtoe Cocktail Club. Their motto is “You can drink it fast, you can drink it slow — but the lips have gotta touch the toe.”.
As always thanks for reading and to all my fellow Canadians reading this have an Awesome and safe Canada Day.Yah Hoser’s